GREAT ARTICLES

You are sure to get the best of the best on this page. I welcome you...

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Tales from my jungle 5: Dust, dust everywhere

Warning: If you read this, you may laugh. You may also feel angry. But it's the picture of what some people go through in this country. If you are an indigene of Ebonyi, don't read. If you read, don't be offended. As a budding journalist and writer, if I see, I must talk. Please pardon my churlish tendency. I promise to do a nice piece on Ebonyi soon as a journalist brother suggested. Don't mind the hammer in the grammar (whatever that means) We speak 'Engilishi' in the jungle. Are you ready for this? Let's go.
You know what happens when you visit a place for the first time and you become inquisitive so as to know the terrain. You want to keep your ears to the ground and gather enough information that will guide your actions and behaviour so you don't commit a faux pas. In the process, you hear a lot of gossips, lies,exaggerations, half truths and of course facts.'In a particular place in Ebonyi', so the story goes 'snakes come to visit you,eat with you,play with you.In fact, they bury snakes like human beings'. I was stunned, mouth agape. I later learnt it was true of old Ivo, one of Ebonyi local govts. I don't know if this ancient custom is still on. That field of study is open for research. You may consider writing a thesis on it. It will be called 'The snake thesis'. I will endorse it (laughing...) It was also in camp I first heard some people call Ebonyi dust of the nation. I wondered why anybody should for whatever reason deride a state of the Federal Republic of Nigeria with unfounded and fearsome reports. And not just any state, but a state that earned the spiritual tag of the salt of the nation. I felt irritated at that distortion of a graceful slogan.
At this time, we were still in the concentration, sorry I mean orientation camp where we were constrained to live regimented lives (we queue up for food as the crow flies).On a particular day, the camp commandant ordered us to do something weird.We were to wear our jungle boot on one foot and tennis shoe on the other. Picture it. Can you imagine what we looked like in that contradiction? Let me tell you:we looked sick and pathetic! Everybody was limping. It was very funny.
It was a relief when we left that confinement although some of us wished it continued because we had acclamatised to the harsh drills. It was when we stepped into the outside world I understood why Ebonyi is derisively taunted 'dust of the nation'. The columns of dust swirling in the atmosphere of this great state is quite unbeliveable. Any microscope that ventures to capture its fluids content is ready to pack up because the dusts will suffocate it to death. Believe me, I no dey bobo you (*winks*).
The reason for this embarrassing situation is that nature is still in full grasp of the state.A large portion of the land mass is still inhabited by its founding fathers-- towering thin trees and comfortable giant weeds. As a humble villager, if you wish to build your mud house or hut, you must form a hamlet so as not to incur the wrath of the gods of the sacred jungle. Many of the roads have not had the nigrescent touch of fine gravel.Those that have been tarred are suffused with dusts. Road side plantations are the worst hit. Their chlorophyll pigmentation is badly tainted and dented. Deep ditches, expansive potholes adorn the roads forcing drivers to sway and swerve which again precipitates avoidable vehicular collisions. Don't also be surprised to see civil servants, traders, farmers in dusty feet, they share that commonality (apologies to my Ebonyi friends. If you feel embarrassed, kindly help rub off this aspect, I mean the dusty feet thing). Just a few minutes trek and your feet have turned brown. I feel sick anytime I walk to my PPA.If you see me returning, you might think I was serving on a community farm (don't laugh o).
If you ask me what I think, I'll rather say the dust phenomenon is symbolic. It signposts the abject poverty of the people. It quickly warns you as a visitor or stranger not to expect any magical spark in the state. And most importantly, it advertises the mineral inadequacy of the state. Ebonyi does not have much in terms of resources, except for the salt and sand and its popularity for the 'Abakaleke rice' which tastes just like it sounds(I am sorry again o. You must forgive me). There are few industries available to upgrade the lives of the people. Things are that bad.
I guess you must be wondering what the fate of agriculture will be. The condition of the farmers is pitiable. They must mould heavy heaps before they can expect any yield from the stingy stony soil. And when it's harvest time, you may be moved to tears as they dig up tiny tubers. Then they must leave the lazy land to fallow for a long period before belabouring it again for its trickles.
The people are in dire need of help.I wish I can do something for them.I wish I can change their fortune.
To read more jungle tales and comment,click: www.childofdkingdom.blogspot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blog List