GREAT ARTICLES

You are sure to get the best of the best on this page. I welcome you...

Thursday, December 16, 2010

On ASUU's two weeks strike suspension

Opinion
ASUU’S TOO WEAK STRIKE SUSPENSION

I am one of the many Nigerian students who clamoured for the resolution of the FG-ASUU rift which had resulted in the avoidable three month strike. My joy knew no bounds when a friend broke the news to me that the strike had been suspended. I could not help thanking God for answers to prayers.
Monday morning I enthusiastically woke up hoping to find my ever-vivacious friends in class. I had really missed them. But to my greatest surprise, I was greeted with an empty department and a deserted campus begging for students’ presence. Hostels were dry and there were just few students trudging the dusty roads. The tufts of grass around were vehemently protesting with their sharp blades the absence of human gracious treading. Classrooms were under lock and key. Disappointed and almost moved to tears, I asked: ‘Why?’
But it never took me time to unravel my own puzzle. Suspension is not the same as call-off and ASUU perfunctorily asked students to resume. Only unsuspecting and innocent students like me will swallow the suspension pill hook, line and sinker. Or have I also forgotten that NASU, the gate keeper and SSANU, the captain of the ship are still on strike? You can’t beat them.
While ruminating over the issue, I found answers to students’ reluctance to return to school. ASUU, in my assessment, were wrong on certain grounds.
Isn’t it ridiculous to imagine that an agreement that was not signed since 2001 will be approved within two magical weeks? Improbable! Perhaps, we might need to hypnotize the whole government functionaries before we will achieve such a tall feat. ASUU will have us believe that the FG will be repentant just within a fortnight. Such thinking is least expected of our academics. I can imagine the government savouring the delight of their luck.
Nonetheless, if without any abracadabra the Federal Government yields and meets the deadline, it will be with a severe modification that will aggravate the issue. ASUU’s demand would have been seriously slashed as to render it useless and worthless. If however the lofty demands will be met, it is not within a two-week ultimatum. I suppose ASUU’s train of thought is logically bound for a predictable disaster.
But if I must excuse our amiable lecturers for this decision, I can only come to one conclusion—ASUU has actually decided to call off the strike but to save their face decided to give an empty threat. At least that will make Nigerians think they are not tired of the struggle as their name contradictorily suggest in my Yoruba tongue. But in the real sense, the strike is over.
Let me briefly touch on the Adam Oshiomole’s factor in this morass. The former radical labour leader has been unfairly criticized for just taking care of ASUU without thinking of SSANU and NASU. In my candid opinion, Governor Oshiomole is not to blame. He was only a government appointed mediator with the mandate to return the striking lecturers to the classroom. Period. I honestly believe ASUU should take the buck. Professor Ukachukwu Awuzie should have known that if ASUU is to enjoy the benefit of a favourable negotiation with the FG, the other unions cannot be neglected or relegated as is presently the case. The three bodies though separated by certificate, experience and salary should have been united so the issues are settled once and for all. I don’t want to say ASUU was selfish though it is evident they were. ASUU may be the central processing unit of the university system; NASU is the monitor that displays their intelligent quotient while SSANU constitutes the input device without which they are incapacitated. Though separate, they are never mutually exclusive!
Since ASUU has then decided to suspend its strike, NASU and SSANU have collaborated to frustrate the effort of their darling brother. Pity. NASU says even if ASUU has decided to teach, it will be in an open field, not in classrooms.
So, with the foregoing analysis of our paralysis, the reaction of students should suffice to show their disappointment at ASUU’s insincerity and selfishness.
I want to advise that ASUU should not think of resuming the strike after two weeks. It will amount to descent from the sublime to the ridiculous. That will be excessive. I support the resumption but not to the exclusion of NASU and SSANU and not at ASUU’s postscript of a return after two weeks. It will not be in their honour to resume fight after handing down their weapons and calling for a truce. If that happens they will be riding roughshod on Nigerian students’ patience and understanding. They will also be portraying themselves as not worthy of trust and confidence.
No doubt I have also triggered a question— ‘what else could ASUU have done?’ Call off the strike, fold their hands and watch helplessly as the government continues to subject our educational system to undeserved torture? Of course not. I will never pander to such a base submission. My solidarity is to ASUU knowing fully I have a stake in the struggle. My recommendation is simple—Let ASUU intensify negotiation with the FG in a friendly atmosphere devoid of rancor or resentment until the issues are completely thrashed out. At least the FG has promised to accede to their demands only on the condition of returning to classroom. Governor Oshiomole, who we all appreciate for his masses spirit, has also been involved. So, if they reneged on this sacred promise, then we can take them to the cleaners.
If the agreement is not signed, Yar’dua’s administration shall be remembered for its unreliability and undependability; for its unfulfilled promises; for raising expectations and dashing it, breaking our hearts. We will not forget him as the president who made Nigerian students stage a protest on the country’s 49th Independence Anniversary. No, Never! Let the Yar’adua administration embark on an image redemption campaign especially among students and academics before the chapter of his smeared administration is sealed. It is only a piece of advice.
To my courageous academics I’ll like to say this. It is high time we dropped this hackneyed idea of strike action as the only means of venting grievances on authorities. The idea is too crude and costly. Our professors think up another effective alternative. Posterity will appreciate an effort directed towards fashioning a creative way of seeking equity, justice and fair treatment when the occasion calls for it in the near future. So that Nigeria can be great and the labour of our heroes past may not in vain.

Folarin Samson
Editor-in-chief, UnilagSun Newspaper.
08030572852
Childofdkingdom@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blog List